Tuesday, March 16, 2021

The right way to write?

The two recent sessions with Peter Thomas from awl@mdx have been inspiring and reassuring. It has been useful to hear his ideas on organising ideas, finding themes and mapping relationships that exist between points made. Also, I've been reminded to think about the reader, to consider my choices and my purpose for writing, to find patterns in my writing which are helpful for the reader (without being to rigid!), and to be explicit in my opinions whenever possible.

I have been writing my first AoL and working to thread things together in a way which is relevant and worthwhile. It is difficult to balance reflection (which will always be self-entered) with an objective approach and writing style. Many of the theorists' ideas, stories, and reflective models I have explored appear rather anecdotal in themselves; many examples in literature seem narrative and conversational in the way they are described which makes formalising them into the reality of my essay, often, even more challenging.

The two texts below have made it onto my Reading List!

Levi, P. (1988). The Wrench. London: Abacus.


Scaife, J. (2010). Supervising the Reflective Practitioner. An Essential Guide to Theory and Practice. Hove: Routledge.


Ben x

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Ben, I appreciate your thoughts, I have similar feelings. I found Peter’s workshops reassuring too, it seems there is more scope than I first thought.

    Regarding our reader. How are you finding being explicit in your writing, when there are so many (too many) options out there? This is something I’m struggling with, the problem of 'where do I start' is still where I'm sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben,

    Thank you for your comments tonight. I really resonated with everything you said in terms of vulnerability and openness. It is the only AOL I've written so far :/ This is the blog I was talking about tonight http://helenkindred.blogspot.com/2021/02/being-in-process.html I also looked at Goleman, Donaldson, Wilkes and emotional intelligence and Taylor and Estanol's Prime Dance Pyramid. I found that related in terms of how to apply and approach it.

    ReplyDelete